The Oakland Coliseum, undoubtedly roiled by the constant stream of bad news centering on its locker room sewage problem, has fought back with a public-relations offensive of its own: telling you about all of the improvements to the facility. The press release is below, but note that it does not mention the Oakland Coliseum’s locker room sewage problem:
New Improvements to the Oakland Coliseum Will Greet Oakland A’s Fans, Players, and Media for the Start of the 2014 Baseball Season
Oakland-Alameda Coliseum Authority and the Oakland A’s have invested in improved security, upgrades to press and player amenities, and new food options
OAKLAND, CA – A’s fans visiting the Oakland Coliseum to watch a game this year have a number of new improvements to look forward to – and so do the A’s players, opponents, umpires, and media. The Coliseum Authority and the Oakland A’s made significant investments in the off-season to improve the experience for all guests. This includes improved security at the entrance, new food and beverage selections at the stadium, and improved amenities for players, fans, and media.
“A’s fans have been looking forward to the start of the 2014 baseball season all winter, and we want their return to the Coliseum to be a positive one,” said Authority Chair and Alameda County Supervisor Nate Miley. “That’s why we are so excited about all the work that has been happening at the stadium during the off-season this year. It’s more than a fresh coat of paint – it’s about us addressing the needs of our loyal fans.”
For A’s fans, here are some new improvements to expect:
· New look: The Oakland Coliseum has been fully re-painted and new Kentucky blue grass sod has been laid on the field as it is each year before the season. New investments in groundskeeping machinery, including industrial lawnmowers and a “laser-leveling system,” will allow the Authority to maintain the field more easily and effectively.
· New concessionaire & food items: The Oakland A’s, which are in charge of the concessionaire contract, have brought in an exciting array of new items and are upgrading the concession experience/facilities. Fans will now have access to even more premium beers and new food items like wood-fired pizzas, and more!
· Improved “Ring” Road: The Coliseum Authority will repave the road that circumnavigates the stadium after the initial homestand.
· Improved security: The Authority will provide state-of-the-art magnetic screening equipment that fans can quickly pass through as they enter. The Oakland’s A’s will provide personnel to manage the screening.
For the players, umpires and media, improvements include:
· Remodeled dugouts: Both the home team and visitor dugouts have been upgraded with new padded benches, upgraded flooring, new dugout phones, water fountains, and new bathroom fixtures and paint.
· Upgraded lockers: The home team, visitor, and umpire locker rooms all have new rubberized floors and showers.
· Updated press box: Members of the press will now have access to flat screen televisions, and new tables, carpets, restrooms and ceilings.
“We are excited about this season and confident that fans who come to the stadium and the players will have a winning experience,” said Chris Wright, VP of AEG Facilities and GM of O.co Coliseum & Oracle Arena. “Now, it’s time to play ball!”
Ok, but what about the locker room sewage problem?