Philip Seymour Hoffman, Oscar-winner and arguably the greatest actor of our generation, and one of the greatest of all time, died of a heroin overdose on Sunday.
Philip Seymour Hoffman was found inside his home, a $9,800-per-month rental apartment he used as an office in Greenwich Village, in his underwear, and on the bathroom floor. The New York Post reported that he had been dead “for hours.”
This was a shock to everyone, even those who online parenthetically pay attention to actors and Hollywood. Philip Seymour Hoffman was known to have had past problems with drug addiction, and tried “all that stuff” as he put it on 60 minutes two years ago, but no one expected that it was so bad that this would happen.
Philip Seymour Hoffman was discovered with what TMZ said were 50 heroin bags, and other outlets said were 70 bags, and with a hypodermic needle still stuck in his arm. He was supposed to have picked up the three children he had with his girlfriend Mimi O’Donnell at 9 AM that morning, but did not arrive, which was said to be unusual. So a friend became concerned, and went over to check on him.
Hoffman had been clean and sober for 23 years, but then fell off the wagon in 2012, and then on May of 2012, checked into rehab. Apparently, sadly, it didn’t help.
Hoffman was recorded as drunk when he boarded an airplane in Atlanta, and after getting his drink on in an Atlanta bar (I don’t know which one). He was in the ATL for the filming of the movie The Hunger Games: Mockingjay. On Friday, he was spotted at an establishment near The Hyatt Regency Hotel Downtown and was said to have been making repeated trips to the bathroom, and was with a woman friend.