The Baltimore Ravens roster looks a bit different from the how it did when they won Super Bowl XLVII on February 3. The Ravens lost many key defensive players including Pro Bowl linebacker Ray Lewis, who retired after last season. Other defensive players lost during last month’s free agency frenzy include linebackers Paul Kruger and Dannell Ellerbe, cornerback Cary Williams and safety Ed Reed.
The Ravens beefed up their roster with players who can make an immediate impact on the field including linebackers Rolando McClain and Elvis Dumervil, safety Michael Huff and defensive linesmen Chris Canty and Marcus Spears.
While Ravens Nation is adjusting to the new roster, general manager Ozzie Newsome believes in the team and has faith in their chances of making the playoffs this season:
“We like our football team this year. I’d like for someone to tell us we’re not good enough to go to the playoffs right now,” Newsome said during Tuesday’s pre-draft news conference. “Can anyone say that? OK.”
Rumors have circulated about the Ravens first draft pick next week. They said that they would have no problem selecting former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o if he’s still on the board at the 32nd spot.
They’d feel comfortable selecting him despite the “catfishing” incident earlier this year:
“Absolutely, we do,” Harbaugh said. “We’re comfortable with him. We had a great interview. With his body of work, what he’s accomplished, who he is (as) a person, where he comes from, we feel good about Manti.”
The Ravens are expected to draft a linebacker during the draft; it is anyone’s guess who that may be.
The 2013 regular schedule will be announced this Thursday night, that’s when the Ravens find out who they will face in the season opener on September 5.